Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Blessing Hour Pause

Sacred is the pause that draws us into stillness. Nourishing are the moments when we step away from busyness. Teach us the wisdom of pausing. Reveal to us the goodness of stopping to breathe. Bring to our memory the truth that we are the temple out of which you pour your gifts into the world. We are the temple from which you sing your songs. We are the temple out of which you bless. Enable us to listen to the renewal you are trying to bring about in us and through us. May we be reverent with each temple we meet and greet this day. May all the good that we long for come to pass.

This sweet prayer written by Macrina Wiederkehr touched me deeply this morning. Dwelling in the place of much stillness and solitude and trying to capture moments to pause and join with God in his activity throughout the day, this prayer said everything to God that was on my heart and in my soul. I had come to this pause (this 9 a.m. pause) with the words, "O Spirit of the Circling Hours. Work through me that I may be your love poured out." These words are also Macrina's words -- beautiful words creating space and indeed even inviting the Holy Spirit to work through me -- a simple woman who truly desires to be God's loved poured out. On my bicycle ride this morning, which for me is my quiet time with God, those words, "O Spirit of the Circling Hours. Work through me that I may be your love poured out." continued to bubble up until finally I asked God to show me what that would look like -- that perhaps I had not fully captured the invitation. Of course, I brought that question with me to my blessing hour pause and then found the beautiful prayer that is written above. What would our world look like if we embraced this beautiful prayer and indeed became temples through which God's love would be poured out? Won't you join with me in seeking to be a temple through which God's love would be poured out?

Grace & Peace, my dear friends

No comments:

Post a Comment